Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Role-model

I once heard a quote from basketball player Charles Barkley saying, "I am not a role model". Funny. When I was younger I looked up to Sir Charles as being a pretty cool player. Someone I wanted to be like. I just read an article in the May 2010 Sports Illustrated for Kids about Kobe Bryant and his "Drive for Five", looking for his fifth NBA championship. I really liked the article and heres why. Kobe is a great player... one of the best in the NBA. One of the reasons that he is so good is because of his dedication in getting better. The article also focused on how important it is to surround yourself with people who are as dedicated and hard working as you. Kobe has been under a lot of heat in his personal life. His unfaithfulness to his wife has put a shadow over his whole career. I like that, too. The article shows that hard work and dedication will bring success and Kobe himself shows that we pay for our actions one way or the other. Kids need to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment