Saturday, August 14, 2010

Boy's life

I am a huge fan of scouting. I see it as a wonderful tool to help boys grow into adulthood. I was reading through the Boy's Life magazine when I saw some interesting things. First, they were sponsoring a reading contest. The requirements were to read a book and write a 500 word essay on what they read. The winners received gift certificates. I am not sure that we have enough of these incentives to get kids to read. I know that if I could have made some money by reading and writing a report that I would have been interested as a kid.
I also noticed that scouts often has the stigma of being boring, or that scouts are goody-goodys. The Boy's Life makes learning these skills seem like the cool thing to do. I am sure that Boy's life would be an excellent resource in helping tween boys find some direction in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment