Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ready for "Twilight" but with Zombies?

"The Forest of Hands and Teeth" by Carrie Ryan takes place in a post apocalyptic world where a plague kills people then brings them back to life as the Unconsecrated--mindless beings hungry for human blood and the need to spread the disease. Mary and everyone in her small, fenced in village have been taught they can never stray outside the fences because they are the only people left alive in the world, and going beyond the fence will bring only death. However, when Mary's village is breached by the Unconsecrated, Mary goes looking for what she's believed in all along--a place untouched by the death that has always surrounded her.

Okay, I really liked the "Twilight" books. I couldn't stop reading them. But I also thought they were really cheesy at times, and that the main character was almost always lame. I also felt these things with "The Forest of Hands and Teeth." Addictive and exciting, but also cheesy. I also thought Mary was a pretty lame main character. She's supposed to be this strong, brave girl, but she was wishy-washy in her relationships, at best, and downright selfish, at worst. I didn't believe that the two love interests really loved her. Why would they? What was her appeal? Carrie Ryan just didn't pull that off. But I would recommend this book to "Twilight" lovers in a heart beat, and I snatched up the second book as soon as it came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment